The Simplest Way to Free-up Storage Space on Your iPhone
With smartphones getting better at capturing shots with more detailed images and videos at 4K resolution, the size of these files is also increasing, requiring more storage space to accommodate.
These days, almost everyone is familiar with the storage configuration scheme on iPhones. Some would even argue about the fact that a device capable of shooting 4K at 60fps should at least come with a base configuration of 64GB. However, if you still own an iPhone with a 16GB or 32GB storage configuration, you are probably always on the watch-out for workarounds.
We know Apple has several restrictions in place to keeps things secure. One such problem is the inability to expand storage using an SD-Card. However, there are a few ways to get the job done without spending a chunk of money on buying the top of the line variant, like –
- using cloud storage services to keep your data organized
- using streaming services to listen to music rather than keeping them offline
- buying a USB-OTG flash drive with a lightning jack
But today, we’ll be looking at the simplest way to free up storage space on your device. All you need to have to perform this method is the iTunes Store app and you are good to go.
How to Free-up Storage Space on Your iPhone
- Look for the iTunes Store app on your device, it usually comes pre-installed. In case it’s not there for whatever reasons, download it from the App Store.
- Check out the available storage space on the device to make a comparison. Open Settings and navigate to General > About. Scroll down until you find the label ‘Available’. You must find the available space mentioned right next to it.
- Next, fire up the iTunes Store app, and tap on the ‘Search’ button below.
- THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP! You need to search for a movie that is larger than the ‘Available’ space on your device. [more on this at the end]
- Once you find the right one, hit the ‘Rent’ button. Don’t worry, the purchase won’t be made since your device doesn’t have enough space to accommodate for the Movie that you want to Rent. Rather, the device would throw an error with a message,’Not enough space’.
- Now, go back to the Settings app on your device and again navigate to General > About and find the label ‘Available’ and look for space indicated next to it.
That’s it! By now you must have freed up some space.
Here’s a quick comparison of the Available space before and after performing this method.
How did that work, you may ask?
Well, here’s an explanation:
As mentioned earlier, you must select a Movie that is larger than the available space on your device. This is the key to getting this method to work. What actually happens is, when you tap the ‘Rent’ button the device looks up for the available storage space and finds out there isn’t much to accommodate for the Movie that you selected, for which it then tries to clear out the ‘Cache’ that got accumulated over time. Thus, causing the device to free up storage space. You can see this working, by heading to the home screen, where you can see names of some apps replaced with ‘Cleaning’. At this point, you shouldn’t panic as it’s just clearing up the Cache associated with that app.
A few points to keep in mind before performing this method
- Don’t try performing this method if you can’t find a movie that is larger than the available storage space on your device.
- Just to be on the safer side, try removing any Payment method from your Apple ID. This can be done by following these steps:
- Open Settings > iTunes & App Store
- Tap on your Apple ID > View Apple ID > Payment Information
- Under PAYMENT METHOD, select None
- Hit Done
- This method can be performed several times until you stop noticing any change in the storage space.
- In no case, your app or its data gets deleted or lost.